• If the United States loses to Ghana and fails to earn any points in its World Cup opener Monday, will it be impossible to advance out of a tough Group G?
• If the U.S. team fails to advance out of Group G to the round of 16, will everyone blame it on coach Jurgen Klinsmann’s decision to leave veteran Landon Donovan off the team?
• After Spain was crushed by the Netherlands on Friday in a rematch of the 2010 championship, can Spain possibly regroup and advance?
• Brazil beat Croatia 3-1 in Thursday’s opening match amid controversy over a foul call. Was anyone surprised the host country won?
• If the Spurs win their fifth NBA title with Tim Duncan, will the future Hall of Famer walk away on top like former teammate David Robinson did after the Spurs won the title in 2003?
• And if Duncan retires, will coach Gregg Popovich really be “10 steps behind,” as he recently said?
• If the Heat comes up short against the Spurs, will forward LeBron James opt out and join, say, Kobe Bryant and the Lakers or Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks?
• When DeMarcus Cousins lost to talk show host Jimmy Kimmel in a one-on-one game, wouldn’t it have been cool if the Kings center had come up with a better line than “I guess it was a fair game?”
• With Rudy Gay facing a deadline on his contract option, was the Kings forward swayed by the dozens of fans who greeted him at the Sacramento airport earlier this week?
• After shooting a second consecutive round of 65 at the U.S. Open, can anyone catch Martin Kaymer, who had a bogey-free second round?
– Tom Couzens
What to do
Baseball, Colorado at Giants, 1:05 p.m., AT&T Park; N.Y. Yankees at A’s, 7:05 p.m., O.co Coliseum : See the top team in each league on the same day.
How will the United States fare in the World Cup?
• Lose all three group matches
• Win one group match
• Advance out of group
• Second place
Vote above, or go to sacbee.com/sports
Which is the best trophy in American professional team sports ?
• Commissioner’s Trophy (MLB): 10%
• Lombardi Trophy (NFL): 51%
• O’Brien Trophy (NBA): 0%
• Stanley Cup (NHL): 39%
Total votes: 202
Breaking news alerts
Sign up for email alerts for breaking sports stories: www.sacbee.com/email