Good morning. Heres what you need to know today, Take Your Dog to Work Day (bosses permitting):
Feel the warmth: No cool weather for you. The forecast through the weekend is calling for late afternoon poolside temperatures on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to be in the mid-90s in Sacramento. Next week looks a bit hotter with temperatures around 97 degrees on Monday and Tuesday.
Just a day away: Summer officially begins at 3:51 a.m. Saturday. Want to get ahead of the action? Check out 100 Days of Summer, a timeline of events, attractions and summer programs for the entire family in and near Sacramento.
Sac City district news: Close to 100 people backing a charter school at the shuttered Joseph Bonnheim Elementary School were rewarded late Thursday night when trustees of the Sacramento City School Board voted 4-3 to approve the plan. For more details, click here. The district board on Thursday also took no formal action on the scheduled selection of a new superintendent. For details about the selection process, click here.
Sentencing on docket: Brian Keith Jones is scheduled to be sentenced today in Sacramento Superior Court for the shooting death of Duane Lomax two years ago. Jones is facing a term of at least 50 years to life in prison in the first-degree murder conviction and his personal use of a firearm in killing Lomax. Lomax, 36, of Atlanta, called 911 to report that a woman with whom he had had an argument in a parking lot on Watt Avenue had pulled a gun on him. He began following her, which prompted a passenger in the womans car to call her brother Jones. The defendant then pulled his car into the street in front of Lomaxs vehicle. Jones got out and fired once at Lomax and then several more times after the man pulled a U-turn in an effort to escape, according to the prosecutions theory of the case.
Rockin again: Rosevilles Sammy Hagar-themed restaurant is set to reopen in the fall after the legendary rock stars two sons agreed to take over its operations. For details, click here.
• Bonney Field debut: Sacramento Republic FC makes its debut at Bonney Field at Cal Expo tonight. The local soccer squad hosts the Colorado Rapids Reserves at 7:30 p.m. at 1600 Exposition Blvd. Even though Republic FC enjoyed sellout crowds at Hughes Stadium, its temporary home, players say they look forward to playing on a grass regulation-sized pitch. For details, click here..
• Elite Skills: In this video, DeMarcus Cousins talks about his Elite Skills Basketball camp at Sacramento High School.
• San Francisco Giants at Arizona Diamondbacks, 6:40 p.m. (CSNBA, KNBR 680).
• Sacramento River Cats at Round Rock Express, 7 p.m.* (*taped delay on KSTE 650).
• Boston Red Sox at Oakland As, 7:05 p.m. (CSNCA, KHTK 1140, KHAI 950).