Usually the last week of June is a slow time for sports, especially in the Sacramento area, with the NBA draft dominating headlines. Aside from baseball, there usually are few local events to attend or watch on TV.
But this year will be different, especially next Thursday. Check it out:
• NBA draft, 4 p.m., ESPN: For the eighth year in a row, the Kings have a lottery pick, this time No. 8. It’s one of the best times of the year to be a Kings fan, with the promise of a top new player added to the roster.
• Track and field, Hornet Stadium, 10 a.m.: It will be the second day of the five-day USA Track & Field Outdoor Championships – and the first day at Sacramento State. The first five events in the decathlon will be contested; the day will wrap up with the women’s and men’s 10,000 meters (8:20 p.m. and 9 p.m., respectively).
• Republic FC, Bonney Field, 7:30 p.m.: Expect another sellout crowd when the USL Pro team hosts Arizona United SC in just the second soccer match at Bonney Field at Cal Expo.
• River Cats, Raley Field, 7:05 p.m.: The team hopes to pack the park for its game against the Las Vegas 51s, which will be broadcast nationally as the CBS Sports Network’s Minor League Baseball Game of the Week.
• World Cup, 9 a.m., ESPN: The United States plays what might be a must-win or must-draw match against Germany to kick off the final day of group play. Will the U.S. team advance to the knockout round?
– Tom Couzens
What do you plan to do on Thursday?
• Go to an NBA draft party
• Attend track meet
• Attend Republic FC match
• Attend River Cats game
• Attend one of these, plus watch the World Cup
• I don’t care about any of them
To vote, go to sacbee.com/sports
What should be the new name for Washington’s NFL team ?
• Keep it the same: 60%
• Federals: 8%
• Hogs: 5%
• Lawbreakers: 4%
• Pigskins: 5%
• Senators: 10%
• Skins: 8%
Total votes: 242
Breaking news alerts
Sign up for email alerts for breaking sports stories.