Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today:
Enjoy the 80s: The daytime high is expected to be a half dozen degrees below normal in the Sacramento region today. The high today is predicted to come in at 83 degrees. Then, temperatures begin to climb, culminating in triple-digit heat early next week. The projected warming trend: Friday, 89, Saturday, 92, Sunday, 97, Monday, 101.
Downtown transformation: Soon, the heavy work will begin in preparation for building the new Kings area downtown. In late July, construction crews will start working 17 hours, six days a week on demolishing three square blocks of downtown. Join The Bee’s Ryan Lillis at noon today to discuss the status of the new arena at sacbee.com/live.
Oil train update: One trainload of Bakken crude oil passed through Sacramento in the first two weeks of June, according to a report shared with The Sacramento Bee by the California Office of Emergency Services. The agency decided to make the information public on Wednesday following the release of similar information by several other states, including Washington, Illinois, Florida and Virginia.
Demolition planned: A 15-unit vacant apartment complex in Oak Park will be torn down after the city of Sacramento went to court and had it declared a public nuisance. The city says demolition could start as soon as today on the boarded-up apartment complex near the corner of Fruitridge Road and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
Hot fireworks: Looking to get the most bang for your fireworks buck on July 4? The Sacramento Bee once again assembled a team of flash-and-boom experts to chart points on the axis of spectacle and price. Phantom and TNT recently brought their freshest “safe and sane” offerings to an area fire station for judging.
Sports aplenty: Soccer, track, basketball and baseball fill the sports menu. Here’s what’s cooking:
• World Cup, U.S. vs. Germany (9 a.m., ESPN) – The United States plays a decisive match against Germany to kick off the final day of group play. Will the U.S. team advance to the knockout round? You can watch the match at many local establishments.
• USA Track & Field Outdoor Championships at Hornet Stadium (begins at 10 a.m.) – It will be the second day of the five-day event. The first five events in the decathlon will be contested; the day will wrap up with the women’s and men’s 10,000 meters (8:20 p.m. and 9 p.m., respectively).
• NBA draft (4 p.m., ESPN) – For the eighth year in a row, the Kings have a lottery pick, this time No. 8. It’s one of the best times of the year to be a Kings fan, with the promise of a top new player added to the roster. Join The Bee’s Jason Jones at 1:30 p.m. today to discuss the Kings’ draft prospects. The Kings will sponsor viewing parties in downtown Sacramento and El Dorado Hills.
• Republic FC (7:30 p.m., Bonney Field at Cal Expo) – Expect another sellout crowd when the USL Pro team hosts Arizona United SC in the second soccer match at Bonney Field.
• Las Vegas 51s at Sacramento River Cats, 7:05 p.m. (CBS Sports Network; KSTE 650).
• Cincinnati Reds at San Francisco Giants, 7:15 p.m. (CW31; KNBR 680).