Bee staff writers and horse players Debbie Arrington and Steve Pajak are renewing their head-to-head bankroll battle during the State Fair. Each start with a hypothetical $500 for seven racing days.
• Friday: Lost $70 when My Gal Candy finished fifth in the seventh race.
• Today: GILLIGAN (seventh race) boasts several positives for this one-mile allowance race; he likes the distance, likes Sacramento (he’s 1 for 1 at Cal Expo) and gets Russell Baze, North America’s winningest jockey.
• The bet: $20 win/place on Gilligan; $5 exacta box Gilligan, Falling Knife and Cahill Chrome
• Bankroll: $430.
• Note to Steve: Hey, Skipper, I’m betting Gilligan can float my boat.
• Friday: Lost $50 when Cause I'm Feisty finished sixth in the eighth race.
• The bet: $40 win Two Parts.
• Bankroll: $450.
• Note to Debbie: We're off like a herd of turtles.