Bee staff writers and horse players Debbie Arrington and Steve Pajak are renewing their head-to-head bankroll battle during the State Fair. Each started with a hypothetical $500 for seven racing days.
• Saturday: Won $16 when Gilligan won the seventh race.
• Today: NEVAEH’S PROMISE (fourth race) has run first or second in six consecutive races. That sort of consistency is rare on the fair circuit – and she picks up Hall of Famer Russell Baze for this mile, her best distance.
• The bet: $20 win/place on Nevaeh’s Promise; $5 exacta box Nevaeh’s Promise, Gray Madam and Tribal Rain.
• Bankroll: $446
• Note to Steve: At least I’m moving in the right direction.
• Saturday: Lost $40 when Two Parts finished sixth in the sixth race.
• Today: LAND OF THE FREE (sixth race) was cooked during an ill-advised, five-wide middle move in his last race. There is plenty of speed in today’s race to set up his closing kick.
• The bet: $30 win Land of the Free; $2 trifecta box Land of the Free, My Game, Battle Jet.
• Bankroll: $410
• Note to Debbie: Today is probably my day.