Re "Acknowledging the atrocities in Gaza" (Letters, sacbee.com, July 14): Leah Dajani's letter falsely accuses Israel of atrocities in responding to ongoing rocket attacks. Here are the facts:
1. Unprovoked and continuing first strikes by Hamas, firing more than a thousand rockets at Israeli civilian populations.
2. By the standards of World War II, when the United States destroyed many enemy cities and their populations, including Hamburg, Dresden and Tokyo, a huge response would be justified and within the laws of war.
3. Instead the Israeli Defense Forces have chosen tactics, including warnings of impending strikes, to reduce civilian casualties in Gaza.
4. Israel also accepted a ceasefire proposal on July 15, which was then rejected by Hamas, so the war continues.
5. Israel is fighting Hamas, a terrorist organization that explicitly advocates destroying Israel. Hamas has often terrorized and murdered the same civilians it claims to protect.
Please stand with Israel in this fight.
-- Martin L. Buchanan, Folsom