Republic FC will look to extend its winning streak to seven matches when it plays Hammerheads FC on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. in Wilmington, N.C.
Republic FC (16-6-3, 51 points)beat the Charleston Battery 3-1 on Wednesday and moved into second place in the USL Pro standings. Wilmington (8-7-9), which lost to Republic FC 2-0 last week at Bonney Field, is in seventh place. The top eight in the 14-team league advance to the playoffs.
Republic FC will host an opening-round playoff match at Bonney Field on Sept. 13. If it finishes first or second in the league, it also will host in the second round.
State Fair golf to start Saturday
The 90th annual California State Fair golf tournament tees off Saturday at Haggin Oaks’ Alister MacKenzie Course.
The field for the three-day tournament includes Corey Pereira (2014 Pacific Coast Amateur champion) of Cameron Park, Jonathan De Los Reyes (2014 Alameda Commuters champion) of Sacramento, Alistair Docherty (2013 Oregon Public Links champion) of Chico State and Brian Knoll (2013 and 2014 Sacramento City Amateur champion) of El Dorado Hills.
The tournament, which begins at 7 a.m. each day, is free to specators.
• Morgan Stanley had 13 kills and 13 digs, Sloan Lovett tallied 13 kills, and Lexie Skalbeck added 20 digs to lead the Sacramento State women’s volleyball team over East Tennessee State 25-10, 25-21, 21-25, 25-13 in the second round of the Charlotte (N.C.) Volleyball Invitational, Sac State reported. The Hornets lost to UNC Greensboro 33-31, 25-14, 25-18 in the morning’s season opener.
• Kaylin Squyres had nine kills and libero Megan Lancaster picked up 12 digs for UC Davis, but Rice swept the Aggies 25-21, 26-24, 25-19 in the season-opening Rice Invitational in Houston, according to UCD.
• Kassidy Kellogg scored with just over five minutes left, lifting the host Sacramento State women’s soccer team (2-1) to a 2-1 win over Cal State Bakersfield (0-3), Sac State reported.
• Sienna Drizin tallied in the 78th minute to give the host UC Davis women’s soccer team (2-1) a 1-0 victory over San Jose State (0-2), according to UCD.
• The UC Davis men’s soccer team opened its season with a 0-0 double-overtime tie at Ohio State, UCD reported.