Book of Dreams 2014 Nominations
For more than 25 years, The Sacramento Bee has invited the community to help those less fortunate during the holiday season. In 2013, the community responded with $250,000 in donations - a record-breaking year. Because of readers' generosity nearly 50 dreams were fulfilled and The Bee was able to donate $10,000 to area nonprofits during "The Big Day of Giving" in May.
With the help of the community, The Bee hopes to continue that tradition in 2014.
As we begin our 27th year of focusing on those who often are overlooked, we are asking for nominations for this year's effort. And although The Book of dreams does not approve requests for housing, cars or trips, no dream is too large or too small if it helps make a difference in someone's life. To nominate an individual, family or non-profit organization, please go to the online nomination form.
In 2013, the Book of Dreams helped build a kennel for K9 Companions; purchased toys and scooters for children of incarcerated parents; bought wheelchair race cars for young heart patients and gave Priscilla Wong what she needed to read her favorite books.
Nominations are due by Wednesday, Oct. 22, 2014. Finalists will be notified in late October and if chosen by the newspaper, nominees must be willing to be featured in a story and photographed for the "Book of Dreams." If you have any questions or to request a nomination form, please contact Community Affairs at the special Book of Dreams phone line - 916-556-5667. Book of Dreams nomination form
NOTE TO READERS
Sometimes the needs are simple and basic, such as a bed for a child or parent. Sometimes they are more specialized, like the request for an electronic "page turner" that would allow Priscilla Wong to read a book by herself despite her physical limitations.
Whatever the need, The Bee's annual Book of Dreams allows all of you to help those in need in our community during this holiday season. Last year the Book of Dreams raised more than $192,000, allowing us to fund every dream published, along with 25 additional wishes submitted during the year.
This year, Family Promise wishes it could buy 14 rollaway beds and bedding to transport among churches committed to providing housing and support to homeless families so parents and children can stay together. Wellness Within, which supports cancer patients and their families, wishes for funding to buy healthy food and supplies for its art, writing, meditation and other programs.
For more than a quarter century our readers have generously supported such programs. This season we hope to top last year's achievement, funding all dreams and 26 more community wishes. As always, all funds will be donated and The Bee will absorb administrative costs.
Look for our stories now through Christmas. And, once again, thank you for your continued openhearted support.
-- Joyce Terhaar, Executive EditorHOW TO DONATE
To contribute use this online form or print the donation form and mail it to The Sacramento Bee Book of Dreams Fund, 2100 Q Street, Sacramento, CA 95816. If you have additional questions, please call the Book of Dreams line at 916-556-5667. Donations will be accepted through January 17, 2014.
* To claim a tax deduction for 2013, all donations must be postmarked by December 31, 2013. All contributions are tax-deductible and none of the money received will be spent on administrative costs. Partial contributions are welcome on any item. In cases where more money is received than requested for a given need, the excess will be applied to meeting the unfulﬁlled needs in this Book of Dreams. Funds donated in excess of needs listed in this book will fulﬁll wishes received but not published and will be donated to social service agencies beneﬁting children at risk. The Sacramento Bee has veriﬁed the accuracy of the facts in each of these cases and we believe them to be bona ﬁde cases of need. However, The Sacramento Bee makes no claim, implied or otherwise, concerning their validity beyond the statement of these facts.
- Book of Dreams: Party thrills children, educates families of incarcerated -
- Book of Dreams: Gifts for pediatric heart patients a holiday boost -
- Book of Dreams: Freedom of creating art inspires women in community program -
- Book of Dreams: Hats, gloves help homeless people ward off winter cold -
- Book of Dreams: Senior Safe House a welcoming, nurturing place -
- Book of Dreams: Music is whole-body therapy for Adult Day Program students -
- Book of Dreams: Khya’s short life inspires mother, family -
- Book of Dreams: Nonprofit shelter program needs beds for families -
- Book of Dreams: Page-turning gadget would make reading easier -
- Book of Dreams: Center helps cancer patients, their families -
- Book of Dreams: So many chances to fulfill important wishes -
- Book of Dreams Nomination Form -
- Book of Dreams - Online Donations -