NOTE TO READERS
Sometimes the needs are simple and basic, such as a bed for a child or parent. Sometimes they are more specialized, like the request for an electronic "page turner" that would allow Priscilla Wong to read a book by herself despite her physical limitations.
Whatever the need, The Bee's annual Book of Dreams allows all of you to help those in need in our community during this holiday season. Last year the Book of Dreams raised more than $192,000, allowing us to fund every dream published, along with 25 additional wishes submitted during the year.
This year, Family Promise wishes it could buy 14 rollaway beds and bedding to transport among churches committed to providing housing and support to homeless families so parents and children can stay together. Wellness Within, which supports cancer patients and their families, wishes for funding to buy healthy food and supplies for its art, writing, meditation and other programs.
For more than a quarter century our readers have generously supported such programs. This season we hope to top last year's achievement, funding all dreams and 26 more community wishes. As always, all funds will be donated and The Bee will absorb administrative costs.
Look for our stories now through Christmas. And, once again, thank you for your continued openhearted support.
-- Joyce Terhaar, Executive EditorHOW TO DONATE
To contribute use this online form or print the donation form and mail it to The Sacramento Bee Book of Dreams Fund, 2100 Q Street, Sacramento, CA 95816. If you have additional questions, please call the Book of Dreams line at 916-556-5667. Donations will be accepted through January 17, 2014.
* To claim a tax deduction for 2013, all donations must be postmarked by December 31, 2013. All contributions are tax-deductible and none of the money received will be spent on administrative costs. Partial contributions are welcome on any item. In cases where more money is received than requested for a given need, the excess will be applied to meeting the unfulﬁlled needs in this Book of Dreams. Funds donated in excess of needs listed in this book will fulﬁll wishes received but not published and will be donated to social service agencies beneﬁting children at risk. The Sacramento Bee has veriﬁed the accuracy of the facts in each of these cases and we believe them to be bona ﬁde cases of need. However, The Sacramento Bee makes no claim, implied or otherwise, concerning their validity beyond the statement of these facts.
- Book of Dreams: Donated shoes need sheltered space to await new owners -
- Book of Dreams: Party thrills children, educates families of incarcerated -
- Book of Dreams: Gifts for pediatric heart patients a holiday boost -
- Book of Dreams: Freedom of creating art inspires women in community program -
- Book of Dreams: Hats, gloves help homeless people ward off winter cold -
- Book of Dreams: Senior Safe House a welcoming, nurturing place -
- Book of Dreams: Music is whole-body therapy for Adult Day Program students -
- Book of Dreams: Khya’s short life inspires mother, family -
- Book of Dreams: So many chances to fulfill important wishes -
- Book of Dreams: Nonprofit shelter program needs beds for families -
- Book of Dreams: Page-turning gadget would make reading easier -
- Book of Dreams: Center helps cancer patients, their families -
- Book of Dreams - Online Donations -