Elk Grove withdraws growth application, pre-empts formal rejection

11/26/2013 1:37 PM

11/26/2013 1:48 PM

Elk Grove has withdrawn its application to expand its planning boundaries by 30 percent, pre-empting a formal rejection from a regional planning board.

At a special meeting Monday night, the City Council voted 5-0 to pull its application scheduled for a final vote next month by the Sacramento Local Agency Formation Commission. LAFCO voted 5-2 earlier this month to reject the application but still planned to make formal findings against the city’s growth next week.

Mayor Gary Davis said Elk Grove officials, realizing the proposal would fail, decided to spare everyone the trouble of preparing for and holding another meeting.

“I don’t think we’re going to re-apply anytime soon,” Davis said.

LAFCO Executive Director Peter Brundage said state law allows cities to withdraw applications at any time. Elk Grove had requested to expand its planning boundaries by 30 percent to the south. The city still would have had to receive further LAFCO approval for annexation to develop the area.

Editor's Choice Videos

 

Join the Discussion

The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service