It’s the first weekend of the new year, and you need something to do. Here’s your guide to events around the Sacramento area.
▪ SacAnime at Sacramento Convention Center: The festival for fans of anime takes place through Jan 4. For more information, visit the Sacanime website. See who attended last year’s festival in this Snapshots photo gallery.
Fox40 goes inside the Sacramento Convention Center on opening day as organizers get ready for SacAnime in this video.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Photography from postwar Japan in stunning exhibit at Crocker Art Museum: Since the 1960s, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art has assembled one of the world’s finest collections of Japanese photography. About 50 photographs from the world-renowned collection are on view at the Crocker through Feb. 1.
▪ California State Home & Garden Show at the Sacramento Convention Center: Along with home exhibits for the kitchen, bath, landscaping and more, the show - which runs through Jan. 4 - also has a live cooking stage and wine tasting and wine sales. For more invormation, visit the home and garden show website.
▪ Music - three bands to see: Check out some country/rock with the Josh Budro Band on Friday, a little hip-hop with Sage the Gemini on Saturday and some rock/blues with Drop Dead Red, also on Friday. Bee correspondent Aaron Davis has the details in “Three to See: Beer beckons when Josh Budro Band’s rockin’.
▪ Dinosaurs to roam in Sacramento area: “Walking With Dinosaurs – The Arena Spectacular” is at Sleep Train Arena through Sunday for seven shows in which the “terrible lizards,” as their name means, romp, stomp, race and rear their mighty way through a multimedia show that’s equal parts education and entertainment.
Fox40 chats with Lynda Levin, resident director of “Walking With Dinosaurs,” to find out about the spectacular show happening now at Sleep Train Arena in this video.
▪ Year’s best casual-dining restaurants around Sacramento: You’re going to want to eat when you’re out and about this weekend and The Bee’s Allen Pierleoni looks at a list of the 10 places he enjoyed the most in 2014.
▪ Events: For an interactive display of everything happening around the area, take a look here.