For the 18th annual Sacramento Museum Day, more than two dozen museums or destinations will offer free or reduced-price admission.
The day – Saturday, Feb. 6 – gives the public a chance to learn and experience the history, art, nature, science of the region and maybe about a museum itself.
Lorili Ostman, who chairs the Sacramento Association of Museums, says the concept of a museum day was somewhat cutting edge when it first was organized, but the idea is catching on throughout the country as a way to provide good visibility to all the museums in an area.
“We’re creating a playful experience for visitors,” Ostman said, explaining that most museums plan special events or exhibits for Museum Day. They’re intended to show visitors how each museum is a resource in the community, “so people don’t just stop in once,” she said.
Never miss a local story.
Among the special events this year are a “Bird and Bug Bonanza” at the Roseville Utility Exploration Center, one of the Crocker’s “Block by Block” talent searches at the Sojourner Truth African American Museum and free electronic fingerprinting of children at the Powerhouse Science Center Discovery Campus.
The California Agriculture Museum in Woodland, where Ostman is executive director, will sit out this year’s museum day as it undergoes a redesign, which is set for public viewing in spring. That leaves 26 others to explore, however.
Ostman suggests that visitors not try to make a marathon of the day. She suggests choosing one – maybe two – museums to visit and spending enough time to get to know it. Try one you’ve never visited, she added.
Participating this year are the following:
▪ Aerospace Museum of California, 3200 Freedom Park Drive, McClellan
▪ California Automobile Museum, 2200 Front St., Sacramento
▪ California Museum, 1020 O St., Sacramento
▪ California State Capitol Museum, Room B-27, state Capitol, 10th and L streets, Sacramento
▪ California State Library, 914 Capitol Mall, Sacramento
▪ California State Railroad Museum, 125 I St., Sacramento
▪ Don & June Salvatori California Pharmacy Museum, 4030 Lennane Drive, Natomas
▪ Fairytale Town, 3901 Land Park Drive, Sacramento
▪ Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, 800 N St., Sacramento
▪ Locke Boarding House Museum, 13916 Main St., Locke
▪ Maidu Museum & Historic Site, 1970 Johnson Ranch Drive, Roseville
▪ Museum of Medical History, 5380 Elvas Ave., Sacramento
▪ Old Sacramento Schoolhouse Museum, 1200 Front St., Sacramento
▪ Old Sacramento State Historic Park, along waterfront between I Street and Capitol Mall, Sacramento
▪ Powerhouse Science Center Discovery Campus, 3615 Auburn Blvd., Sacramento
▪ Roseville Utility Exploration Center, 1501 Pleasant Grove Blvd., Roseville
▪ Sacramento Children’s Museum, 2701 Prospect Park, Rancho Cordova
▪ Sacramento Historic City Cemetery, 10th Street at Broadway, Sacramento
▪ Sacramento History Museum, 101 I St., Sacramento
▪ Sacramento Zoo, 3930 Land Park Drive, Sacramento
▪ Sojourner Truth African American Museum, 2251 Florin Road #126, Sacramento
▪ State Indian Museum, 2618 K St., Sacramento
▪ Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park, 2701 L St., Sacramento
▪ Verge Center for the Arts, 625 S St., Sacramento
▪ Wells Fargo History Museum (Capitol Mall), 400 Capitol Mall
▪ Wells Fargo History Museum (Old Sacramento), 1000 Second St., Sacramento
Sacramento Museum Day
When: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 6, last admission at 4 p.m.
Where: Throughout Sacramento area, with 26 participating museums and destinations
Cost: Free or half off regular admission
Information: 916-808-7777; sacmuseums.org