You might buy this glossy, coffee table-size book for the wonderful photographs of Yosemite. And that’s certainly acceptable. But there’s a great story – you know, words on a word – that goes with it. It’s the tale of how Yosemite came to be protected and, well, the saga of the entire national parks movement. Duncan details the history of the men who shaped the park, from John Muir to Teddy Roosevelt, but also waxes poetic about the grandeur of the place.
When you’re out in the back country or in some polar region, having the proper jacket isn’t just a matter of comfort; it’s a means of survival. These jackets, ranging from $300 to $650, give the most protection from the elements, says Outside magazine. Heck, even if you’re just skiing in Tahoe and want to stay toasty, you might want to indulge for $650 and buy the Arc’teryx Caden storm skiing jacket.
$120; www. beartekgloves.com/winter-sport-premium.html
One of the fastest-growing sectors of the winter outdoor wear market is ski gloves that enable wearers to control their electronic devices without having to remove said gloves and chilling their poor fingers. BearTek is the latest to develop a high-tech glove line. To quote from its website, BearTek uses its “one-of-a-kind finger touch control system” with “touch points” on the glove to enable you “wireless control of your phone, music, media, and camera – letting you answer calls, play/pause and skip music tracks, and capture your ride in video or photos – all while simultaneously providing warmth.” No, it won’t make hot cocoa for you back at the lodge. Not yet, anyway.
Writer Koty Neelis imparts her wisdom:
1. It’s one of the most empowering things you will ever experience.
2. You can go wherever you want.
3. Often people will look out for you more when you’re on your own.
4. You can do what you want, when you want.
5. It forces you out of your comfort zone.
6. You’re more open to meeting new people and trying new things.
7. It gives you the chance to discover things about yourself while you discover the world.
8. Although you’re alone you don’t have to worry about being lonely.
9. You can indulge in anything you want without being judged by someone else.
10. Solo travel is cheaper.
11. Do it because you want to.