September usually includes some of Sacramento’s best gardening weather of the year. Take advantage of pleasant temperatures, especially in the morning, and renew your garden for more growing in the seasons ahead. Need ideas to get started?
• Compost annuals and vegetable crops that have finished producing.
• Cultivate and add compost to the soil to replenish its nutrients for fall and winter vegetables and flowers.
• Start a fall vegetable garden. Plant onions, lettuce, peas, radishes, turnips, beets, carrots and potatoes.
Never miss a local story.
• Fertilize deciduous fruit trees. Pick up any fallen fruit to cut down on the spread of pests and disease.
• Dig, divide and replant overgrown perennials such as daylilies and Shasta daisies as they finish blooming. Divide and replant bearded irises, too. Before replanting, weed and amend the flower beds with compost or other organic fertilizer.