DEAR HELOISE: I have burned candles for years and never had a problem until last week. I had a candle in a glass container and wanted to finish burning it. It was sitting on a lace runner. The candle burned out, scorched the runner and also the wood beneath the runner. It was not unattended, but I wasn’t watching it at all times. A warning to others: Even though it is in a glass container, if it burns out, the glass can become hot enough to do damage. You probably should blow them out before they burn to the bottom of the glass.
Another hint is if you tie a raffia bow around a candleholder, be sure the bow is well below the burn line of the candle. I had one tied too high, and it burned the raffia. I was close by and caught it immediately.
Joan, via email
DEAR JOAN: You are lucky it did not do major damage. My friends at the National Candle Association (I spoke to them a few years back and learned a lot from them) say do not burn candles all the way down. When there is approximately 1/2 inch of candle wax left in a container, it should be extinguished and not lit again. Don’t take a chance!
Never miss a local story.
DEAR HELOISE: I installed a spring-tension shower rod lengthwise and above the shower head over my bathtub. Now I hang my drip-dry and hand-wash laundry on it to dry without water dripping down the side of the tub and onto the floor.
Diane V., Columbus, Ohio
DEAR DIANE: Smart indeed. Here’s what I do, especially when on the road and doing a little hand laundry: Place the items on a coat hanger, and hang that on the shower head or inside the shower curtain. No drip, no mess.
DEAR HELOISE: I cover the wood handles and the rubber tires of my wheelbarrow with a large barbecue-grill vinyl cover. This keeps the handles from rotting and the wheels from decaying due to the elements.
Leon B., Holiday Island, Ark.
Send a money-saving hint to Heloise P.O. Box 795000 San Antonio, TX 78279-5000.