A guide for what you need to buy, read or consume to enhance your recreation and travel experience
Ultimate Direction AK Race Vest
$89; AK race vest
Here's an option for trail runners who don't like holding water bottles and don't like hydration bladders strapped to their backs. It's a vest, partially designed by ultrarunner Anton Krupicka, with bottles pouched on each side of your chest, and with zippered and bungee-corded pockets on the side and back. It's lightweight, too: 6 ounces (11.5 oz. with bottles).
Outside Magazine's Mountain Bike Comparison
Those into "bike porn" – really expensive, unattainable mountain bikes – will salivate over this list from Outside magazine, including the $11,000 Cannondale Scalpel 29er Carbon Ultimate, which costs as much as some cars.
Lion Vs. Photographer
You may think being a nature photographer is a cool job. Well, it is, but there are hazards. Check out Graham Springer's up-close and personal meeting with a lion in the Okavango Delta of Botswana.
13 Things Shalane Flanagan Hates About Running
Many on the list of the Olympic distance runner are a little scatalogical to appear in a family paper. Here is a sampling of her full list:
1. Nasty feet: Ugly toenails that are black and 3D-shaped, blisters, calluses or just no toenail at all.
4. When I pass a man and he tries to race me.
5. Running in really windy conditions so it feels like you're standing still.
6. Tan lines that look like you're still wearing shorts and a sports bra.
10. Getting out of bed in the morning and walking like an old granny because I'm so stiff.
"There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign."
– Robert Louis Stevenson
– Compiled by Sam McManis
Call The Bee's Sam McManis, (916) 321-1145 Follow him on Twitter @SamMcManis.