• Mosquito net pants
Never miss a local story.
If you don’t care much about high fashion, here’s a sure-fire way to avoid those pesky mosquito bites and more-than-pesky West Nile virus: Don mosquito netting pants. Sure, they look ridiculous, completely clownish, but they work. They are lightweight (6 ounces) and thin (1.2 milimeters). The website recommends you wear them baggy over your hiking shorts – and thank goodness they recommend you wear shorts, because the netting is very see-through.
• “Yosemite National Park Past and Present,” by I-Ting Chiang and Suzanne Silverthorn
$24.99, Schiffer Publishing
Arguably the best way to experience the grandeur of Yosemite – other than visiting, of course – is by still photography. A new book pairs 348 stunning images of the park with matching “historic postcards.” All the park’s rock stars are included (Half Dome, El Capitan) as well as the sequoias of Mariposa Grove and the subtle beauty of Hetch Hetchy. This is a book to get a nature lover, especially one mourning the damage wrought by the Rim fire.
• “The Nonrunner’s Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On with Your Training,” by Dawn Dais
$17, Seal Press
Dais, a Sacramento author whose last book, “The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby’s First Year,” brings her funny, sarcastic style to distance running. This tome documents how she transformed herself from a nonrunner who loathed the pasttime to a marathoner. Yeah, there’s some practical advice in there as well.
• Outside Magazine’s Top 10 Bars for Cyclists
1. Gestalt Haus, Faifax, Marin County
2. Oskar Blues, Lyons, Colo.
3. Powerhouse, Hailey, Idaho
4. Redbones, Somerville, Mass.
5. Over the Bar Bicylce Cafe, Pittsburgh, Pa.
6. Velo Fellow, Greenville, S.C.
7. Hotel du Commerse, Houffalize, Belgium
8. Beerbikes, Amsterdam (Note: It’s a moveable bar, powered by patrons pedaling as they power down brewskis.)
9. Caffe Terry, Taichung, Taiwan
10. Il Re del Cappuccino, Mansummano Terme, Italy
Justin Stone (@DisnyRunr24): “Love when I get on an airplane and they are playing the theme song to Titanic.#Travelfail.”
– Compiled by Sam McManisfirstname.lastname@example.org