How many times have you seen cyclists on the American River Parkway get yanked to the pavement when trying to ride with their dog trotting beside them? It’s funny, until it happens to you. A new product featuring a three-point leash connection – to the frame of the bike, your inside pedal and the dog’s collar – promises to be secure without being constricting for Fido. We weren’t sure how it worked until watching the YouTube videos. Not bad. Then again, they’ve never met either of our dogs, who like to bolt in all directions.
Never miss a local story.
• CORE Super Food Protein Bar for Dogs
After Fido has been pounding the pavement attached via DoggerJogger to your bike, he’s going to need to have some protein to help repair those micro-tears in his quads and hamstrings. Just as humans have Clif Bars and such, canines now have CORE bars.
• “Day Hikes & Overnights on the Pacific Crest Trail: Southern California”
$19.95; www.countrymanpress.com; 186 pages
Say you want to pretend you are Cheryl Strayed and hike the length of the Pacific Crest Trail, but really just want to do a segment or two? This book by Marlise Kast-Myers will help you out, giving directions, from near the Mexico border, through Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, into the San Jacinto and San Bernardino Wilderness and on through the San Gabriel Mountains. We’re eagerly awaiting the Northern California book.
• Top 5 Luxury Family Beach Escapes
1. Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, St. Lucia: While the kids frolic in the Children’s Club, parents can deep-sea dive.
2. One&Only Reethi Rah, Maldives: Three miles of coastline, 12 beaches, secluded; the kids can make as much noise as they want.
3. Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita: The fam can commune with Giant Aladabra tortoises.
4. The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort – Langkawi, Malaysia: This eco-retreat has a rain forest and an 8,000-year-old coral reef
5. Eagles Palace Hotel & Spa – Halkidiki, Greece: Parents can recline on comfy loungers with “waiter buttons” while kids play in a safe club.
Megan F. Blakemore (@meganbfrazer): “Chosen to go through shoes-on lane at TSA. Wearing shoes with metal studs. #TravelFail”
— Compiled by Sam McManis, firstname.lastname@example.org