Provisions: Travel stuff you need
06/15/2014 12:00 AM
06/12/2014 9:53 PM
Gatorade may be a little late getting into the burgeoning protein-bar field, but it’s going way back. Or maybe that should be “whey” big, because its new bar has 20 grams of whey protein. Now, remember, these bars are to be consumed only after intense “athletic activity,” because at 370 calories, it packs quite a caloric punch.
• “Denali’s Howl: The Deadliest Climbing Disaster on America’s Wildest Peak” by Andy Hall
$27.95; Dutton; 252 pages
This book is timely, given the tragedies on Mount Everest involving the deaths of sherpas. It reminds us that all mountain climbing, especially on America’s tallest peak, is inherently dangerous. The story recounts the doomed ascent in 1967 by a group of graduate students that ended amid a unprecedented blizzard at 20,000 feet.
• Outside Magazine’s “Best Road Bikes of 2014”
This is what cyclist call “bike porn”– high-end road bikes that the average guy in Lycra cannot afford and probably doesn’t need, given his or her ability. Still, it’s fun to read about these “unattainable” bikes, including the Argonaut Space Bike 2.0, which sells for $13,720 – more than some compact automobiles. It’s artisan made in (where else?) Portland and weighs only 14.2 pounds.
• Top 10 Beaches
From The Associated Press
Dr. Beach, a.k.a. Professor Stephen Leatherman of Florida International University, based on factors that include cleanliness, safety and amenities. California? Not a one.
1. Duke Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Barefoot Beach, Bonita Springs, Fla.
3. St. George Island State Park, panhandle of Florida
4. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
5. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
6. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks of North Carolina
7. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Fla.
8. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Mass.
9. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, S.C.
10. Delnor-Wiggins Pass State Park, Naples, Fla.
Ryan Whaley (@RyanJWhaley): “Just because you’re on a plane does not mean you can wear sweatpants in public. Thank you. #travelfail”
Compiled by Sam McManis, firstname.lastname@example.org
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.