That fad of women wearing skirts for running looks like it isn’t going away anytime soon. So, why shouldn’t male runners jump on this running fashion bandwagon? A kilt, guys? Are you man enough to do the plaid for a race? The good news is, it’s not heavy wool. It’s “breathable material,” augmented with 16 percent Spandex. The color is the classic red-black-white plaid, and it it 22 inches in length, ending just before the knees. The company’s website doesn’t say what, if anything, is underneath the kilt. Guess that’s up to you.
• RootsRated App
The new RootsRated app, available for download on iPhones and Androids, features outdoors recommendations (best hikes, top places to stand-up paddle, kayak, camp ) for four areas of California – Bay Area, Santa Barbara, Los Angeles and San Diego.
• CamelBak Mantra “Water Enhancer”
$4.99, box of eight
CamelBak has branched into electrolyte water market. Its “Mantra” line is a “water enhancer,” which we believe back in the old days is what Kool-Aid was called. But these packets that dissolve in water feature antioxidants, vitamins and electrolytes and come in a variety of flavors .
Outside magazine asked ultra-runner Matt Hart for his favorite long, long, long runs. Our only quibble is that he left off the Tahoe Rim Trail.
1. Wonderland Trail: Mount Rainier National Park, Wash. (93 miles, 24,000 feet of ascent)
2. Zion Traverse: Zion National Park, Utah (48 miles, 9,000 feet of ascent)
3. Softrock: Silverton-Telluride-Ouray, Colo. (100 miles, 34,000 feet of ascent)
4. Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim, Ariz. (42 miles, 10,700 feet of ascent)
5. Teton Circ: Jackson, Wyo. (34 miles, 8,200 feet of ascent)
6. Maroon Bells Four Pass Loop: Aspen, Colo.(27 miles, 8,000 feet of ascent)
7. Kalalau Trail: NaPali Coast, Kauai, Hawaii (22 miles, 10,000 feet of ascent)
8. Presidential Traverse: Gorham, N.H. (26 miles, 9,600 feet of ascent)
Austin Hudspeth (@studspeth): “I’m in Houston. Not by plan, of course. No one ever plans to be in Houston. #travelfail”
Compiled by Sam McManis, email@example.com