A guide for what you need to buy, read or consume to enhance your recreation and travel experience
La Sportiva Hail Jacket
Never miss a local story.
Hard-shell jackets are great for keeping you dry, but most are too bulky and inhibit movement. La Sportiva’s offering weighs just 6.3 ounces with a hood and is said to be flexible enough for rock climbing. Under-arm ventilation keeps you from getting too toasty when the storm has passed.
Book: ‘Freeman’s: The Best New Writing on Arrival’
Not to get all literary on you, but this new journal curated by former Granta editor John Freeman asked some of the world’s most celebrated writers (Louise Erdrich, Dave Eggers, Haruki Murakami, Lydia Davis) to muse on the theme of “Arrival.” It’s a perfect companion for travelers. Here’s an excerpt from Murakami, sure to raise eyebrows among half the population: “Women were more cautious behind the wheel than men. … Yet their style of driving tended to irritate others on the road.”
Travel Channel’s ‘5 Most Romantic Road Trips’
1. Pacific Coast Highway (123-mile stretch from Monterey to Morro Bay)
2. Route 100, Vermont (“copious covered bridges”)
3. Golden Isles, Georgia (between Jekyll Island and Savannah)
4. Beartooth Highway, Wyoming/Montana (officially, US Route 212)
5. North Shore Drive, Minnesota (officially, Route 61)
Compiled by Sam McManisfirstname.lastname@example.org