Sacramento’s premier hard rock festival is back on the move. After a stint at Gibson Ranch in Elverta, the Monster Energy Aftershock Festival is heading back to its original home at Discovery Park. The festival will be held Oct. 22-23.
Aftershock debuted at Discovery Park in 2012 and continued its run for two years. The festival drew upwards of 19,000 daily with an annual lineup of leading hard rock bands including Megadeth, Godsmack and Deftones. Aftershock moved in 2015 to the 325-acre Gibson Ranch in Elverta, which attracted a combined crowd of 45,000 for the two-day festival. Danny Wimmer Presents, the producer of Aftershock, initially eyed Gibson Ranch as a place to ultimately grow the event to a three-day festival with a daily crowd of 40,000.
Aftershock 2015 was marked by high energy performances and massive traffic jams leading in and out of Gibson Ranch during the festival’s first day, with some concertgoers stuck in the parking lot for three hours. Traffic flow for the second day was relatively smoother.
There is just something really special about Discovery Park and its proximity to downtown. It offers the best of both the gorgeous park setting and all the amenities of Sacramento.
Danny Hayes, chief executive operator of Danny Wimmer Presents, explaining the Aftershock festival’s return to Discovery Park
Never miss a local story.
“Gibson Ranch was a beautiful place to hold last year’s Monster Energy Aftershock,” said Danny Hayes, chief executive operator of Danny Wimmer Presents, in a statement. “But there is just something really special about Discovery Park and its proximity to downtown. It offers the best of both the gorgeous park setting and all the amenities of Sacramento.”
Aftershock marks the second large-scale music festival to announce recently that it was relocating from Gibson Ranch. City of Trees, the alternative rock festival sponsored by Radio 94.7, will be held at Cal Expo’s Bonney Field in September. The festival drew 9,000 to Gibson Ranch in its 2015 debut.
The 160-acre Discovery Park was the site of a recent concert which ended in injuries and tragedy. A fight at the 102.5 concert left a 31-year-old man dead. Three people were also treated for burns from a fire that erupted at a food booth.
Officials at the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau are anticipating the return of Aftershock to Discovery Park. Previous editions of the festival have added more than $11 million to the local economy through hotel bookings, spending at area restaurants and more.
“We’re thrilled that it’s coming back to Discovery Park,” said Mike Testa, chief operating officer at the Sacramento Convention & Visitors Bureau. “Gibson Ranch is a spectacular venue but it straddles Sacramento and Placer counties, so the hotel rooms were scattered. From an economic standpoint, Discovery Park is better for the city and county of Sacramento.”
Aftershock organizers are also partnering with the Sacramento County Department of Regional Parks on a water safety campaign. “Life Looks Good on You” is a campaign that features Aftershock alumni including members of Deftones and Papa Roach sharing pictures of themselves wearing life jackets on social media.
The lineup for Aftershock 2016 will be announced June 7 at 12 p.m. For more information: http://aftershockconcert.com/.