Are these California's best butcher shops?
10/30/2013 10:23 AM
10/30/2013 10:53 AM
The classic American butcher shop is alive and serving choice cuts of beef and pork, along with fish, poultry, charcuterie and much more. That’s the finding from the editors of the Daily Meal, the all-food-and-drink, all-the-time website.
In choosing America’s 25 Best Butcher Shops, the editors took into account many factors, including: Do they offer organic, sustainable meat? Do they practice “whole animal” butchery, sourced from hand-picked local farms?
“We also considered whether they offer classes on simple butchery, sausage-making, and the like; if they offer unique cuts of meats and can cut those to order; and if they offer ‘extras’ including sausage, charcuterie and sandwiches,” the panel explained.
The top 10 looks like this, and includes three in California (Nos. 15, 16 and 22 also are in California). For the complete list, go to www.thedailymeal.com/america-s-25-best-butcher-shops/102413.
1. Lindy & Grundy, Los Angeles ( www.lindyandgrundy.com)
2. The Butcher and Larder, Chicago
3. The Local Butcher Shop, Berkeley ( www.thelocalbutchershop.com)
4. The Meat Hook, New York City
5. The Swinery, Seattle
6. Fleisher’s, New York City
7. Publican Quality Meats, Chicago
8. Dickson’s Farmstead meats, New York City
9. Saugatuck Craft Butchery, Westport, Conn.
10. Avedano's Holly Park Market, San Francisco ( www.avedanos.com)
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.