Bill Gillespie, the longtime owner of Sunrise Natural Foods, has sold his business, but his two local stores will continue to operate.
Gillespie said last week that he closed the sale of his business on July 7. He did not name the buyer or the price, but he did say that he was looking forward to retirement as he turns 65 on Aug. 31.
Gillespie said his Sunrise Natural Foods stores at 2160 Grass Valley Highway in Auburn and 1950 Douglas Blvd. in Roseville will continue to operate as usual.
Gillespie, who grew up in Fair Oaks, opened his business in Utah in 1971. He came back to California in 1982 and grew his local operations from there. He said last week that he won’t completely retire. He still likes to help young entrepreneurs get started, and he plans on continuing to offer help when he can.
Never miss a local story.
He said he was grateful to customers who made it possible to give thousands of dollars to local hospitals, schools and other programs over the years. And he added this: “I want the customers to know how much I appreciate their support and kindness … and how much I’m going to miss them. They’ve been so wonderful and so supportive.”
- Wood’ys Grill & Bar, at 2316 Watt Ave, Sacramento: The eatery at Country Club Plaza closed July 29. A Simple Solution Estate Sale Co. in Carmichael is overseeing a liquidation sale at the site from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. next Sunday. Items for sale include memorabilia, stainless steel prep tables, neon signs, beer taps and cookware. For more information, contact Valerie Johnson at 916-202-1767, or go to estatesales.net and enter the ZIP code 95825.
- Denny’s, 6215 Sunrise Blvd., Citrus Heights: The 24-hour, diner-style restaurant closed on July 19.
- Wicked West Pizza & BBQ, 771 Ikea Court, Suite 100, West Sacramento: The eatery, which periodically featured live music, announced in a July 23 Facebook post that it was closing its doors after seven years in West Sacramento.
- SB Sports Bar & Grill, 5220 Manzanita Ave, Carmichael: Formerly touted as an English-style pub under the name Stirling Bridges, the business closed July 29 amid financial problems and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Sacramento Bagel, 4701 H St., Sacramento: The bagel shop posted a notice of closure at its entrance, at the end of July, citing a lost lease.
- Broderick Roadhouse, 1516 Eureka Road, Roseville: The chain known for its over-the-top hamburgers opened its fourth Northern California restaurant on July 27.
- Dunloe Brewing, 1606 Olive Drive, Davis: The brewery and tasting room had a soft opening on July 28. For more information, call 530-231-3502.
Open & Shuttered, a rundown of recently opened and closed businesses in the Sacramento area, will appear periodically in The Bee’s Sunday Business section.