Sacramento area honors veterans
A sampling of area Veterans Day events:
▪ At Sacramento’s sixth annual Veterans Day Parade, the city recognizes veteran service organizations and their auxiliaries, the military and reserve military, National Guard and ROTC. The parade, with a theme of “Honoring All Who Served – Always Remember Their Sacrifice,” begins at 11 a.m. at Capitol Mall Greens, 1300 Seventh St. The parade includes veterans, military organizations, high school marching bands, vintage military vehicles, car clubs, trade unions and community organizations.
▪ Area veterans will honor homeless veterans in a pinning ceremony at 10 a.m. at Friendship Park at Loaves and Fishes, 1351 N. C St., Sacramento. Scheduled speakers include Sacramento Mayor-elect Darrell Steinberg.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Local veterans can receive free health services, including eye exams and new glasses, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at a UC Davis student-run Willow Clinic at VFW Post 67, 2784 Stockton Blvd., Sacramento. The event is open to the public, but veterans in need who qualify will receive first priority. The Sacramento Community Veterans Alliance will provide free health services, such as exams for Vietnam service-connected illnesses, testing for diabetes and blood pressure, and smoking cessation kits.
▪ The 16th annual Wayne Spence Folsom Veterans Day Parade begins at 9 a.m. at East Bidwell Street and Montrose Drive. A brief memorial ceremony takes place immediately following the parade in Folsom City Lions Park, 403 Stafford St., at the Veterans Memorial, near the flagpole.
▪ The Davis Cemetery District and the Davis Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6949 commemorate veterans with a special ceremony. Volunteers and Boy Scouts will place flags on their grave sites before the ceremony, which takes place from 10:30 a.m. to noon at the Davis Cemetery and Arboretum, 820 Pole Line Road. A performance by the Davis High Madrigal Singers will conclude the ceremony.
▪ Elk Grove’s 16th annual Veterans Day Parade starts at 10 a.m. with a ceremony at the Elk Grove Shopping Center, 9108 Elk Grove Florin Road. The parade will proceed south on Elk Grove Florin Road at 11 a.m. and end at Elk Grove Regional Park, 9950 Elk Grove Florin Road.
▪ Rancho Cordova’s 11th annual Veterans Day program is titled “We Build – We Fight. Remembering our Veterans and Honoring the Missions of the U.S. Naval Construction Forces (Seabees).” The program begins at 10 a.m. at the Sacramento VA Medical Center, 10535 Hospital Way, Sacramento. Pre-program entertainment begins at 9:30 a.m.
▪ The William Jessup University Public Policy Department, in cooperation with the WJU Veterans Club, will host the university’s eighth annual Veterans Day Celebration. The event starts at 7:30 a.m. at the flagpole in front of the Rocklin campus, 2121 University Ave. Lt. Col (ret.) Loo Y. Ng, commander of the Air Force ROTC at William Jessup University, and CSU-Sacramento AFROTC will conduct the flag ceremony. The ceremony is open to the public.
▪ A Veterans Day program featuring the Whitney High School Air Force JROTC and Parker Whitney Elementary School chorus takes place at 11 a.m. at the Rocklin Cemetery Veterans Memorial, 4090 Kannasto St.