Commuters face another jolt to their routines as Phase 2 of the Fix50 project begins Friday morning, this part of the work possibly leading to more pronounced traffic slowdowns.
To receive news and updates, and to share experiences and route tips, readers are urged to use the live blog that will be posted at sacbee.com/live beginning at 5:30 a.m. Friday. Tony Bizjak, The Bee’s transportation reporter, along with other official and unofficial sources will provide posts throughout commute hours. Anyone wishing to post to the live blog via Twitter may use the hashtag #Fix50.
With Phase 1 of the project completed a few days early, lane closures shift from three inside lanes along the W-X stretch of eastbound Highway 50 above downtown Sacramento to two outside lanes. The position of those closures will mean key on-ramps as well as heavily used approaches to eastbound Business 80 and southbound Highway 99 will be off limits.
The anticipated results are significant detours and even more added travel time for commuters and other motorists coming into and through Sacramento, as well as heavier traffic on surface streets.
Here are additional resources and information about Phase 2 and subsequent portions of the Fix50 project:
• Real-time traffic map, live-camera views of construction zones and latest news on our Transportation/Fix50 page.
• Mobile resources and links.
• Sign up for text alerts for traffic and project bulletins; standard mobile rates apply.
• Email your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org, and include when and where they were taken.
• Submit your questions to our Fix50 expert, Tony Bizjak, and read the full Q&A.