Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Saturday, July 11:
That 80s weather
Daytime highs in the Sacramento region are expected to remain well below normal through the weekend as an upper low pressure system stays in place over Northern California. In Sacramento, the high temperature is expected to hit near 88 degrees, with southwest wind 6 to 8 mph.
Booze ban on part of American River Parkway
Never miss a local story.
Alcohol will be prohibited today on the American River Parkway between Hazel and Watt avenues as part of an effort by county parks and law enforcement officials to prevent problems during Rafting Gone Wild. The alcohol restriction was issued by Sacramento County’s director of regional parks in preparation for the event. County park rangers, Rancho Cordova police officers and Sacramento County sheriff’s deputies will be stationed at all park locations along the American River Parkway to enforce the alcohol ban.
Day 2 of State Fair at Cal Expo
Day 2 of the California State Fair runs from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. at Cal Expo, 1600 Exposition Blvd., Sacramento. Highlights include horse racing beginning at 1:15 p.m., Demolition Derby at 7 p.m. and Paul Rodriguez, 8 p.m. Go to sacbee.com/state-fair for more details.
Witherell’s summer auction scheduled
Find nearly 500 lots up for bid during Witherell’s summer auction. Preview of items will be open free to the public from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Witherell’s warehouse, 1925 C St., Sacramento. Auction continues through Wednesday online at www.witherells.com. Featured in this auction are the personal collection of longtime Sutter Creek dealers Earl and Ray Klima and part of the Crego Civil War collection.
International art exhibit comes to Sacramento
An international art exhibit that explores how young people react to trauma and strife will be re-imagined in a Sacramento showing. “Of Love & Riots,” the work of the Trust Your Struggle collective, will be shown at the Sol Collective gallery at 2574 21st St. The exhibit debuted at the 58 Gallery in Jersey City, N.J., in 2007, and the latest version will involve about 10 artists. The show runs from 6 to 10 p.m. and will appear until Sept. 8. Brooklyn-based artist Benjamin “Mincho Vega” Rojas, a member of the Trust Your Struggle collective, said the exhibit “has a strong focus on youth and children who are angry, hurt and reacting to a larger force.”
Things to do
- Taiko Project, a taiko group from Los Angeles, is scheduled to perform at Sacramento Asian Sports Foundation’s annual benefit dinner show. The event is planned from 5 to 9 p.m. at 9040 High Tech Court in Elk Grove.
- The Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 500, holds its third annual Car Show featuring classics to street rods. The show takes place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Carmichael Elks parking lot, 5631 Cypress Ave.
- The Soul Of Sacramento Music and Food Festival features headliners Con Funk Shun, plus FAZE-O, The Dazz Band, Club Nouveau and Lakeside. The event is scheduled from 5 to 10 p.m. at Southside Park, 2115 Sixth St., Sacramento.
- Sacramento River Cats vs. Fresno Grizzlies, 7:05 p.m., Raley Field, West Sacramento.
- Sacramento Republic FC vs. Los Angeles Galaxy II, 8 p.m., Bonney Field.