Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Friday, July 17, 2015:
Near 100 degrees won’t break record
The National Weather Service is forecasting a toasty high near 99 degrees today, but that will not come close to breaking a record. Sacramento’s all-time high for July 17 is 114 degrees set in 1925.
Day for seniors at State Fair
It’s Senior Savings Friday at the California State Fair, 1600 Exposition Blvd. Discount admission of $8 for seniors 62 and older before 8 p.m. Seniors also ride free on the Grand Carousel and the Giant Wheel. Other highlights are the national drone racing championships at noon, horse racing beginning at 4:15 p.m. and Ky-Mani Marley concert at 8 p.m. See sacbee.com/state-fair for details.
Disney artist in Old Sacramento this weekend
Disney fine artist Jimmy Mulligan will be at The Vault at Stage Nine, 200 K St. in Old Sacramento, from noon to 4 p.m. Friday through Sunday. The visit will honor the the 60th anniversary of Disneyland’s grand opening on July 17, 1955. Stage Nine will also be featuring a collection of vintage Disney and Disneyland memorabilia on display for the first time.
Things to do
- The free Concerts in the Park series continues at Cesar Chavez Plaza in downtown Sacramento. From Indian Lakes, Sunmonks, Xochitl and Dusty Brown are scheduled to perform from 5 to 9 p.m. at 910 I St., Sacramento.
- The Sacramento Children’s Museum invites adults to take part in Trivia Night from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at 2701 Prospect Park Drive, Rancho Cordova.
- The Fulton-El Camino Recreation and Park District sponsors Movie at the Park featuring “The Lego Movie.” The film is scheduled at 8:30 p.m. at Seely Park, 3000 Pope Ave.
- Pro tennis: California Dream vs. Austin Aces, 7:30 p.m., Dream Stadium at Sunrise Mall in the Sunrise MarketPlace.
- Pro soccer friendly: Sunderland AC (English Premier League) vs. CD Pachuca FC (Liga MX), 7:30 p.m., Bonney Field.