Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Friday, July 17, 2015:
Near 100 degrees won’t break record
The National Weather Service is forecasting a toasty high near 99 degrees today, but that will not come close to breaking a record. Sacramento’s all-time high for July 17 is 114 degrees set in 1925.
Day for seniors at State Fair
Never miss a local story.
It’s Senior Savings Friday at the California State Fair, 1600 Exposition Blvd. Discount admission of $8 for seniors 62 and older before 8 p.m. Seniors also ride free on the Grand Carousel and the Giant Wheel. Other highlights are the national drone racing championships at noon, horse racing beginning at 4:15 p.m. and Ky-Mani Marley concert at 8 p.m. See sacbee.com/state-fair for details.
Disney artist in Old Sacramento this weekend
Disney fine artist Jimmy Mulligan will be at The Vault at Stage Nine, 200 K St. in Old Sacramento, from noon to 4 p.m. Friday through Sunday. The visit will honor the the 60th anniversary of Disneyland’s grand opening on July 17, 1955. Stage Nine will also be featuring a collection of vintage Disney and Disneyland memorabilia on display for the first time.
Things to do
- The free Concerts in the Park series continues at Cesar Chavez Plaza in downtown Sacramento. From Indian Lakes, Sunmonks, Xochitl and Dusty Brown are scheduled to perform from 5 to 9 p.m. at 910 I St., Sacramento.
- The Sacramento Children’s Museum invites adults to take part in Trivia Night from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at 2701 Prospect Park Drive, Rancho Cordova.
- The Fulton-El Camino Recreation and Park District sponsors Movie at the Park featuring “The Lego Movie.” The film is scheduled at 8:30 p.m. at Seely Park, 3000 Pope Ave.
- Pro tennis: California Dream vs. Austin Aces, 7:30 p.m., Dream Stadium at Sunrise Mall in the Sunrise MarketPlace.
- Pro soccer friendly: Sunderland AC (English Premier League) vs. CD Pachuca FC (Liga MX), 7:30 p.m., Bonney Field.