Resource fair for parolees, probationers
Several agencies are teaming to provide a resource fair for eligible parolees and probationers to help them make successful transitions to life beyond prison. The event is scheduled from 9 a.m. to noon at 10170 Missile Way, Mather. The Sacramento Community Based Coalition, the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, CDCR Division of Rehabilitative Programs and the Division of Adult Parole Operations are co-sponsoring the event.
Summer-like temps Friday
What happened to fall? Temperatures are expected to rise to near 90 degrees on Friday in Sacramento. The weekend looks a little cooler, the forecast calling for a high of 86 degrees on Saturday and Sunday in Sacramento.
Oktoberfest at J Street hall
The Sacramento Turn Verein holds its 48th Annual Oktoberfest on Friday and Saturday at Turner Hall, 3349 J St. The celebration, patterned after the famous Oktoberfest in Munich, features traditional German music, food and drink. The event is scheduled from 6 to 11 p.m. Friday and 3 to 11 p.m. Saturday. Go to http://sacramentoturnverein.com/ for more information.
Home show this weekend at Cal Expo
The 14th annual Sacramento Fall Home Show begins a three-day run at Cal Expo, 1600 Exposition Blvd., Sacramento. Features include energy-saving home additions, home improvement ideas and ideas on how residents can add value, more living space, curb appeal and energy efficiency to their homes. The show is scheduled from noon to 6 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. Go to http://sachomeandgardenshow.net/fall/ for more information.
Things to do
▪ The Cathedral of the Blessed Sacramento presents noted concert organist Tom Mueller at 8 p.m. at 1017 11th St., Sacramento. Mueller is an assistant professor of church music and university organist at Concordia University in Irvine. He will perform works by Vivaldi, Bach, Poulenc, Whitlock, Wingard, Shearing and Guebert. Doors open at 7:15 p.m.
▪ The city of Woodland hosts “Movies on Main Street,” a free family event that begins at 5:30 p.m. at Second and Main streets. Shortly after sundown, “Monsters University” will be shown. Before the movie begins, music will be provided by the Highway 16 Band in Heritage Plaza.
▪ Stephen Jenkinson, author and Harvard-educated theologian, will talk about his new book, “Die Wise: A Manifesto for Sanity and Soul,” at 7 p.m. at Time Tested Books, 1114 21st St., Sacramento. The book is about grief, dying and the great love of life. Reservations are recommended but not required. Go to http://timetestedbooks.blogspot.com for more information.
Arena memories sought
#GoodnightSleepTrain: With the shiny, new Golden 1 Center scheduled to open in fall 2016, now’s the time to start our goodbyes to the old arena. Whether you knew it as Arco, PBP (Power Balance Pavilion) or Sleep Train Arena, share a favorite memory of a Sacramento Kings game, a concert, a graduation or other event. Three ways to share:
- Submit your memory at http://sacb.ee/4oPH
- Have a photo? Send it to email@example.com with “#GoodnightSleepTrain” and your name in the subject line
- Tweet or Instagram us with #GoodnightSleepTrain
We’ll collect all the memories at sacbee.com/city-arena