Sacramento area honors veterans
A sampling of area Veterans Day events:
▪ Sacramento’s fifth annual Veterans Day Parade starts at Third Street and Capitol Mall at 11 a.m. and concludes with a Veterans Day ceremony about 12:15 p.m. at the west steps of the state Capitol.
▪ Elk Grove’s Veterans Day Parade and tribute starts with a ceremony at 10 a.m. at Elk Grove Shopping Center, 9108 Elk Grove Florin Road, followed by an 11 a.m. parade departing south on Elk Grove Florin to Elk Grove Regional Park. The event, sponsored by the city of Elk Grove, was organized by community members and the Elk Grove American Legion Post 233. Portions of Elk Grove Florin Road and Elk Grove Boulevard will be closed in the parade area from 9:45 a.m. to 1 p.m.
▪ The 15th annual Wayne Spence Folsom Veterans Day Parade in Folsom starts 9 a.m. in the Target parking lot, 430 Blue Ravine Road, and commemorates the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II. About 3,000 participants are expected, with marching bands, floats, classic cars, horseback riders and color guards. A ceremony at the Veterans Memorial in Folsom City Lions Park will follow the parade and honor local veterans. Immediately afterward, a brief ceremony to honor local veterans will be held at the Veterans Memorial in Folsom City Lions Park.
▪ The city of Rancho Cordova’s 10th annual Veterans Day ceremony honors the legacy and heritage of the 100th/442nd Regimental Combat Team and Nisei Veterans at 10 a.m. at the Sacramento VA Medical Center, 10535 Hospital Way, Sacramento.
▪ The 15th annual observance of Veterans Day at the La Sierra High School Veterans Memorial in Carmichael, begins with colors presented at 11 a.m. at 5325 Engle Road, on the east side of La Sierra Community Center in Earl J. Koobs Nature Area.