Good morning. Here’s what you need to know today, Saturday, Dec. 19:
A slow-moving system will bring showers before 10 a.m. Saturday, then showers and thunderstorms likely between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Rain totals will be a half an inch in the Sacramento region. Showers also expected with thunderstorms after 4 p.m. High near 53. Snow fall amounts expected to be around nine inches at Sierra mountain passes and a little more at higher elevations. A winter storm warning above 5,000 feet remains in effect for the Western Sierra. South southeast winds will be around 7 mph becoming west southwest in the afternoon.
Sac State commencement at arena
Sacramento State President Robert S. Nelsen presides over commencement ceremonies at Sleep Train Arena, 1 Sports Parkway, Sacramento. Saturday’s schedule:
▪ 8:30 a.m. – College of Health and Human Services, 687 graduates
▪ 11:30 a.m. – College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, 157 graduates
▪ 2 p.m. – College of Business Administration, 547 graduates, featuring an honorary doctorate being awarded to community leader Joyce Raley Teel and the “Golden Grads” from the class of 1965.
▪ 5 p.m. – College of Education, 227 graduates, 69 credentials
Christmas gala, fundraiser
The nonprofit 100 Black Men of Sacramento Inc. presents the 29th annual Christmas Gala and Scholarship Fundraiser. The black-tie event begins at 6 p.m. at the Hilton Sacramento Arden West, 2200 Harvard St. It will feature a champagne reception, dinner and entertainment by smooth jazz recording artist Jeanette Harris and dancing with DJ Gino.
Things to do
▪ Old Sacramento’s seventh annual Macy’s Theatre of Lights continues with two performances. The free outdoor shows blend a symphony of lights, sounds and visual effects. Saturday’s shows are scheduled at 6:15 and 7:45 p.m. at 1002 Second St.