A day of remembrance
On Memorial Day, people can honor those Americans who died while serving in the U.S. armed forces at these area events:
▪ The 10th annual Memorial Day ceremony remembering service members and honoring members of the U.S. Merchant Marine begins at 9:30 a.m. with preprogram entertainment at Memorial Plaza at the Sacramento VA Medical Center, 10535 Hospital Way, Mather. The commemoration program begins at 10 a.m.
▪ Another 10 a.m. ceremony will honor service members at the Davis Cemetery, 820 Pole Line Road, and feature the Davis Brass Ensemble, Davis Children’s Chorale, the Davis High School Madrigals, Carol Kessler and a keynote speaker. The Davis Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts and Girl Scouts will place flags on the graves of service members early in the morning and pick them up in the evening. The Davis Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6949 and the Davis Cemetery District will host the ceremony.
▪ The 50th annual North Highlands Memorial Day Parade begins at 10 a.m. at I Street and Watt Avenue. The parade, presented by Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4647, will include decorated floats, equestrians, marching bands, classic vehicles, drill teams, a color guard and more. Immediately after the parade, a gathering will be held at VFW Post 4647 with hot dogs, sodas and beer (plus a no-host bar).
▪ At noon, the 25th annual Memorial Day ceremony held by California Mexican American Veterans Memorial Inc. will take place at the west end of the state Capitol.
▪ A ceremony hosted by Citrus Heights American Legion Post 637 and Veterans of Foreign Wars will be held at 10:30 a.m. at Sylvan Cemetery, 7401 Auburn Blvd., featuring music and guest speakers.
Music festival concludes
The Sacramento Music Festival concludes at multiple venues in Old Sacramento. Cost is $25. Call 916-444-2004 or go to www.sacmusicfest.com for more information.
County Fair at Cal Expo
The final day of the Sacramento County Fair runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Cal Expo. There will be carnival rides on the midway and a kids’ carnival for ages 3 to 7. Go to www.sacfair.com for more information.
Things to do
▪ The California Automobile Museum is sponsoring the “Vettes for Vets and American Muscle Car Show” from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 2200 Front St., Sacramento. Active and retired military personnel and their families are admitted free to the museum. Go to www.calautomuseum.org for more information.
▪ A Wounded Veteran Run will take place at Vista Del Lago High School, 1970 Broadstone Parkway, Folsom, with 3K, 5K and 10K run/walks. A Kids Fun Run begins the festivities at 8 a.m., followed by opening ceremonies at 8:15 a.m. Proceeds benefit the Semper Fi Fund/Americas Fund, Fregoso Outdoor Foundation, Patriots Honor and Purple Heart Fund. Go to http://woundedveteranrun.org for more information.
- Sacramento River Cats vs. Oklahoma City Dodgers, 1:05 p.m., Raley Field