Gala honors Walk of Stars recipients
A gala to celebrate the first recipients of the Sacramento Walk of Stars is scheduled at 6:30 p.m. at Sacramento Memorial Auditorium, 1515 J St.
The list includes:
▪ LeVar Burton, the Christian Brothers High School graduate known for his acting work in “Roots,” “Star Trek: The Next Generation” and “Reading Rainbow.”
Never miss a local story.
▪ Debbie Meyer, the three-time Olympic swimming champion who won three gold medals while still a student at Rio Americano High School.
▪ Gregory Kondos, the acclaimed landscape artist whose work hangs in galleries around the world.
▪ Dr. Balazs “Ernie” Bodai, former chief of surgery at Kaiser Permanente, Sacramento, who successfully lobbied Congress to create the breast cancer research stamp.
▪ Timothy B. Schmit, the bassist for the Eagles and an Encina High School alumnus.
The festivities include inductees sharing their inspirational stories, accomplishments and what Sacramento means to them. Go to sacramentowalkofstars.com for more information.
Retail center plans to be discussed
Rancho Cordova’s Planning Department hosts an informal neighborhood meeting about a planned retail center on an undeveloped 14-acre site at 5:30 p.m. in City Council Chambers at City Hall, 2729 Prospect Drive. According to the city, the project at the southeast corner of Sunrise Boulevard and Douglas Road was originally submitted in July 2015, but has since been redesigned to attract new tenants. The plans still include two phases of construction. Phase 1 includes five new retail pads and a new service station with car wash and convenience store. Phase 2 would include one new commercial pad totaling 80,000 square feet, to be designed and constructed at a later time. Call 916-851-8754 for more information.
Davis career center expands hours
The One-Stop Career Center at Mary L. Stephens Davis Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St., Davis, has expanded its hours of operation to: 1 to 5 p.m. Tuesdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays, 1 to 5 p.m. Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturdays. The center has career counselors on site to show guests how to look for jobs, create a résumé and get ready for an interview. All services and assistance are free and walk-ins are welcome. The center also assists with eligibility services by appointment for CalFresh, CalWORKs, Medi-Cal and other public assistance programs. To make an appointment for eligibility services, call 530-312-5860.
Things to do
▪ The Sacramento River Cats host the Reno Aces at 7:05 p.m. at Raley Field.