12/01/2013 12:00 AM
11/30/2013 6:05 PM
What happened to the people who were arrested for a homicide at Somerset apartments in August 2012?
– Reznz, Chanute, Kan.
According to Sacramento Superior Court online records, four people are awaiting trial in the Aug. 21, 2012, shooting death of 25-year-old Timothy Schweiss in the parking lot of an apartment complex at 2526 Edison Ave. in the Arden Arcade area.
Gabriel McAlister, 31, Marcus Logan, 22, Marlyn Stewart, 24, and Angel Tewksbury, 24, are being held without bail in Sacramento County jail, charged with murder and robbery. The trial for all four is scheduled Dec. 12.
According to stories in The Bee, Sacramento County sheriff’s deputies responded to the apartment complex about 10:45 p.m. and found Schweiss, who had been shot once in the upper body. He was transported to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
Authorities said detectives determined that night that the suspects in the shooting had retreated into the apartment complex. After obtaining search warrants the following morning, investigators evacuated numerous apartments. After questioning several people, McAlister, Logan and Tewksbury were arrested.
Sheriff’s officials said at the time that they believed the shooting resulted from a marijuana deal gone bad.
Besides Thomas Ordonaz and Francisco Merjil, who was the third suspect arrested for the Dec. 22, 2012, home invasion on Haven Court in the Greenhaven neighborhood?
– Henry, Sacramento
Three men are scheduled for trial Jan. 9 in the Dec. 22 home invasion and shootout in which Joseph Merjil, one of the intruders, was killed and three other people were wounded.
Francisco Merjil, Thomas Ordonaz and Frank Trevino are charged with robbery. Merjil also is charged with kidnapping, and Trevino also is charged with kidnapping and possession of a firearm by a felon, according to Sacramento Superior Court online records.
According to stories in The Sacramento Bee, the robbery and shootout occurred shortly after 3 a.m. on Haven Court off Greenhaven Drive. The homeowner was among the three people wounded in the exchange of gunfire.
Is there any news on trials or settlements in the alleged Ponzi real estate scam involving Elk Grove resident Christopher Jackson?
– Justin, Sacramento
According to federal court online records, Christopher Jackson and four co-defendants are scheduled for trial Jan. 13 in U.S. District Court in Sacramento.
A trial confirmation hearing for Jackson, Michael Bolden, Victor Alvarado, Erica Arceo and Nicholo Arceo is set for Dec. 12.
The five Sacramento-area residents were charged in September 2011 in a $26 million real estate fraud scheme.
According to a federal grand jury indictment, the scheme took in 180 investors, many of whom pulled equity out of their houses to participate. The now-defunct company called Diversified Management Consultants Inc., or DMC, allegedly lured investors with promises of large profits but used their cash instead to pay earlier investors.
The grand jury accused Jackson of using much of his investors’ money to buy jewelry, pay for home improvements and lease a Lamborghini and Land Rover.
– Cathy Locke
Sacto 911 StaffBill Lindelof
More Sacto 911Crimemapper
Send news tips
Sign up for breaking news alerts
Crime Q&ASacramento Bee reporter Cathy Locke answers your questions about crime news, trends and issues. Look up specific cases using Arrest Logs and Sacramento Superior Courts case database.
Submit your question
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.