Back in the early 2000s, a young man’s body was found in a ditch near Rio Linda High School. Upon further investigation, it turned out that the young man had been injured while joy riding in a stolen car with a group of his friends. Instead of calling 911 to get help, one of these boys called his father, who came out, picked up all of them and then helped to dump the boy’s body in a ditch near the high school. What happened in this case?
– RCR, Sacramento
Five people – three adults and two juveniles – were sentenced for their roles in the Jan. 20, 2003, death of 15-year-old Andrew Maggenti and cover-up attempts.
Maggenti was a passenger in a stolen vehicle that blew a tire and flipped out of control while traveling more than 100 mph on a levee road in Sutter County, according to stories in The Sacramento Bee.
With him in the car were the 15-year-old driver, a 16-year-old passenger and 18-year-old Stephen Curtis Dubie. All got out of the car after the crash except Maggenti, who suffered a broken neck.
The boys cut away his seat belt and dragged him out of the car. But instead of phoning for medical aid, Dubie called his father, Stephen Louis Dubie, who told the boys to keep quiet until he arrived. When the elder Dubie and a friend, Ernest Harold Butler, arrived at the scene about three hours later, Maggenti was dead. Authorities said it was Butler’s idea to dump Maggenti’s body in a drainage ditch near Sixth Street and Stroud Road in Rio Linda.
The elder Dubie was sentenced to two years in prison, and Butler to 270 days in county jail. Both pleaded no contest to being accessories after the fact.
Stephen Curtis Dubie was sentenced to a year in jail on charges of being an accessory after the fact and car theft.
The other two boys were sentenced as minors in Juvenile Court. The 15-year-old driver was sentenced to up to a year at the county Boys Ranch for vehicular manslaughter, and the 16-year-old passenger to a term at a special youth counseling center on a single charge of car theft.