Sacramento sheriff’s deputies arrest suspect in connection with rape of disabled woman
12/24/2013 1:29 PM
12/24/2013 1:30 PM
A 21-year-old man is in custody after he allegedly broke into a disabled woman’s Power Inn Road apartment Saturday and raped her, according to authorities.
Abraham Arroyo is being held in the Sacramento County Main Jail in lieu of $1 million bail, said Sacramento County Sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Bowman. He was booked on suspicion of rape, kidnapping, false imprisonment and home-invasion robbery, jail booking records show.
About 1 a.m. Saturday morning, a man knocked on the door of the 43-year-old victim’s apartment in the 7400 block of Power Inn Road and claimed to be there for “maintenance.” When the victim, who uses a wheelchair, asked him to come back the next day, the suspect smashed a front window and forced his way inside, Bowman said.
Inside, he took the victim’s cell phone, preventing her from calling for help, and forced her to have sex, Bowman said.
Afterward, a security guard heard sobs and found her lying on the floor of her apartment, Bowman said. He had to break the window further to get to her. The suspect had fled the scene.
The victim suffered visible injuries and was treated at a local hospital after authorities arrived. Later, detectives identified Arroyo as the suspect and arrested him Monday morning, Bowman said.
Arroyo is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday.
Arroyo was in Sacramento Superior Court last month, when he pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of brandishing a weapon. He was sentenced to 45 days of Sheriff’s Work Project and three years of informal probation, according to records available online.
In January 2012, Arroyo pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor charge of evading a peace officer, the online records show. He also pleaded no contest to an infranction related to driving with a suspended license. He received 20 days of Sheriff’s Work Project and three years of informal probation, according to the records.
Editor’s note: This post was updated to reflect the correct age of the alleged victim, which was initially reported by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department to be 62.
Sacto 911 StaffBill Lindelof
More Sacto 911Crimemapper
Send news tips
Sign up for breaking news alerts
Crime Q&ASacramento Bee reporter Cathy Locke answers your questions about crime news, trends and issues. Look up specific cases using Arrest Logs and Sacramento Superior Courts case database.
Submit your question
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.