Propane leaking from cooking equipment identified as cause of Elk Grove house fire
02/12/2014 7:30 PM
02/12/2014 7:32 PM
Propane leaking from cooking equipment in a garage was identified as the cause of a fire that damaged an Elk Grove home Tuesday.
Cosumnes Fire Department crews responded at 2:48 p.m. to a report of a fire in the garage of a home in the 1800 block of Bastona Drive. The occupants told firefighters that they were inside the residence eating after cooking their meal in the garage. They heard an explosion in the garage and discovered the fire, according to a Fire Department news release.
The four occupants were able to safely evacuate the residence.
Fire investigators determined that the fire occurred when propane leaking from cooking equipment in the garage was likely ignited by the water heater. The home suffered an estimated $10,000 in damage.
Fire officials remind people to use only approved indoor cooking appliances when cooking inside a residence, including the garage. Camping equipment and barbecues should be used only outdoors in well-ventilated areas, away from other heat sources.
Sacto 911 StaffBill Lindelof
More Sacto 911Crimemapper
Send news tips
Sign up for breaking news alerts
Crime Q&ASacramento Bee reporter Cathy Locke answers your questions about crime news, trends and issues. Look up specific cases using Arrest Logs and Sacramento Superior Courts case database.
Submit your question
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.