Sacto 911

Covering crime, police and courts in the Sacramento region

Third-strike conviction in home-invasion robbery draws 116-year sentence

04/25/2014 8:42 PM

04/25/2014 8:42 PM

Conviction for home-invasion robbery was a third strike for Christopher Kelly Wells, earning him a sentence of 76 years to life plus 40 years in prison.

A Sacramento County jury in February convicted Wells of home-invasion robbery and personally using a firearm, an additional robbery and assault with a firearm on a third victim. He was sentenced today by Sacramento Superior Court Judge Delbert Oros, according to a District Attorney’s Office news release.

Wells’ co-defendant, Elisha Simpson, 36, was convicted of home-invasion- robbery with an accomplice armed with a gun and another robbery. He was sentenced by Judge Oros to six years in prison.

The first victim was an acquaintance of Wells and Simpson. On May 20, 2013, Simpson drove the victim to his apartment, where Wells was waiting inside. When the victim walked into his apartment, Wells forced him to the floor at gunpoint with the victim’s own loaded 9mm handgun, authorities said.

Simpson entered the apartment and duct-taped the victim’s hands behind his back. Wells and Simpson then ransacked the apartment and took approximately a dozen guns, a computer and collectible coins before leaving through a bedroom window.

On June 1, 2013, Simpson attempted to steal a cart full of merchandise from an Antelope Walmart store. When the loss-prevention officer confronted Simpson in the parking lot, Wells intervened and told the officer to back off, gesturing toward his waistband as if he had a gun, authorities said. Wells and Simpson then fled.

The following day, June 2, the two men went to a residence in Antelope where they had previously stayed until they were no longer welcome. When a resident of the home told them to leave, Wells pulled a handgun from his waistband, pressed it against the victim’s stomach and threatened to kill him, authorities said. Wells and Simpson left when someone in the home said they were calling the police.

Wells has a long criminal history dating back more than two decades, including two prior strike convictions, according to the District Attorney’s Office, resulting in his sentencing under California’s Three Strikes Law.

Sacto 911 Staff

Bill Lindelof
blindelof@sacbee.com
@Lindelofnews

Cathy Locke
clocke@sacbee.com

Andy Furillo
Superior Court
afurillo@sacbee.com
@andyfurillo

Denny Walsh
Federal Court
dwalsh@sacbee.com

More Sacto 911

Crimemapper

Send news tips

Sign up for breaking news alerts

Arrest Logs

Crime Q&A

Sacramento Bee reporter Cathy Locke answers your questions about crime news, trends and issues. Look up specific cases using Arrest Logs and Sacramento Superior Courts case database.

Submit your question

 

Join the Discussion

The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service