Jury convicts man in 2012 Selby Ranch murder
08/08/2014 4:22 PM
08/08/2014 4:24 PM
A Sacramento Superior Court jury convicted a career-criminal methamphetamine addict Friday in the robbery killing of a Vietnam War veteran two years ago at the Selby Ranch apartment complex.
In a courtroom outburst Wednesday, Bryan David Denton, 52, had warned the jury when it was going out to begin deliberations not to convict him in the stabbing death of Stephen Sieck, 60.
Denton is facing life in prison with no chance of parole on his conviction for the murder that also carried special circumstance allegations sustained by the jury that the killing occurred during the commission of a robbery and burglary. Judge Raoul M. Thorbourne scheduled Denton’s sentencing for Sept. 12.
Denton has a 14-page rap sheet listing his criminal offenses, according to court records. He first went on trial last year with his girlfriend and co-defendant, Stacey Ann Perryman, for the robbery and killing of Sieck on May 19, 2012, and also for the burglary and arson of the slain man’s apartment on Watt Avenue.
The 2013 case ended in a mistrial for Denton. Judge Russell L. Hom found that Deputy District Attorney Eric Kindall did not properly disclose to defense attorneys until after the first trial began that Denton, in a conversation with a cellmate in the downtown jail, took full responsibility for the killing.
Kindall said in a hearing that he did not disclose the cellmate’s information because it was cumulative to statements from other witnesses that the defense already had in its possession. The prosecutor also said he feared the cellmate could be placed in danger if his status as an informant to the authorities was made public.
Perryman, 45, a contract nurse and Internet prostitute, was acquitted of murder, burglary and robbery charges in the first trial, but was convicted of the arson fire set in Sieck’s apartment. She was sentenced to eight years in prison.
Jurors said outside the courtroom that they convicted Denton on a conspiracy theory. They said there was not enough evidence, however, to conclude that he wielded the knife that was used to stab Spieck a total of 24 times.
Sieck was a painting contractor who had moved from New Mexico to Sacramento shortly before his death.
His son Christian Sieck, 43, said of the verdict, “I’m glad it was what it was. The guy got what he deserved.”
Sacto 911 StaffBill Lindelof
More Sacto 911Crimemapper
Send news tips
Sign up for breaking news alerts
Crime Q&ASacramento Bee reporter Cathy Locke answers your questions about crime news, trends and issues. Look up specific cases using Arrest Logs and Sacramento Superior Courts case database.
Submit your question
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.