A woman serving a sentence for an assault with a deadly weapon conviction in Yolo County was identified as one of two women who walked away from a San Diego re-entry facility Monday.
Viviana Mendez, 20, was received by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation on Oct. 1, 2014, to serve a seven-year sentence for the Yolo County conviction. She had been participating in a Community Transitional Reentry Program since September, according to a California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation news release. The program, officials said, allows eligible participants to serve the remainder of their sentence in a community program instead of a state prison. It provides them with a range of rehabilitative services to assist with alcohol and drug recovery, employment, education, housing, family reunification and social support.
At 7:30 p.m. Monday, program staff members were alerted that Mendez and another woman, 28-year-old Tumoi King, had removed their ankle monitors, and a facility-wide search for the women was conducted. Local law enforcement agencies also were notified and were reported assisting in the search and apprehension efforts.
Mendez is described as 5 feet 2 inches tall, weighing 190 pounds, with brown hair and eyes. She was scheduled to be paroled in February 2017.
Never miss a local story.
King is described as 5 feet 10 inches tall, weighing 175 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. She was received by the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation on Feb. 19, 2014, to serve five years for a second-degree robbery conviction in Riverside County, officials said. She had been participating in the re-entry program since November 2014 and was to be paroled in October 2016.
Anyone with information regarding Mendez or King is asked to call 916-464-4169 or a local law enforcement agency.