A man was convicted Friday in Sacramento of raping three women by force in 2002 and faces life in prison.
Jurors found Jose Gomez-Garcia guilty of six counts of forcible rape along with forcible sodomy, forced oral copulation and a sentencing enhancement for attacks on multiple victims in a series of assaults from June to October 2002, Sacramento County district attorney’s officials said Friday in a statement announcing the verdict.
Gomez-Garcia, 42, faces a maximum of 261 years to life in state prison at a scheduled Aug. 18 hearing before Sacramento Superior Court Judge Shelleyanne Chang.
The victims immediately told authorities about the rapes, which took place after they each were taken to a deserted warehouse parking lot. But investigators could not find a suspect.
Never miss a local story.
Years passed before investigators received the break they needed. Federal authorities took samples of Gomez-Garcia’s DNA after his 2004 conviction on felony charges of illegally re-entering the country after he had been deported, according to district attorney officials.
In 2010, U.S. authorities received a DNA hit linking Gomez-Garcia to the rapes. By then he was in Mexico after having been deported but was extradited back to Sacramento County in 2014 to face charges in the attacks.