Third Loomis care facility diner dies from mushroom soup

11/22/2012 12:00 AM

11/22/2012 12:28 PM

A third person has died as a result of being fed poisonous mushrooms earlier this month at a Placer County senior care facility, the state Department of Social Services has confirmed.

The name of the victim has not been released.

A spokesman for the Department of Social Services said the licensee, Gold Age Villa, called Monday to report the third death as a result of consuming mushroom soup that a caregiver had served using mushrooms foraged from the grounds.

The Department of Social Services, which is charged with investigating the incident, said it cannot release any additional information while its inquiry proceeds.

Gold Age Villa in Loomis remains open with one resident, pending the outcome of the investigation.

Teresa Olesniewicz, 73, and Barbara Lopes, 86, died earlier as a result of the poisoning.

Editor's Choice Videos

 

Join the Discussion

The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service