Obamacare: Are you covered?
08/26/2013 11:00 AM
10/08/2014 10:47 AM
On Oct. 1, Americans can begin enrolling for health coverage in 2014 through the new state insurance marketplaces. The Affordable Care Act takes effect three months later, in January. That’s when most people must have health insurance or face a fine for noncompliance. Most of the roughly 260 million Americans with job-based, individual or government coverage probably have nothing to worry about. But if you’re unsure — or among the nearly 49 million uninsured Americans — we’ve prepared a guide to bring you up to speed.
Other health care resources
- CuidadoDeSalud.gov (resource for Spanish speakers)
- Federal ACA information website for business owners
- "The YouToons get ready for Obamacare" video
- Kaiser Family Foundation subsidy calculator
- Department of Health and Human Services ACA hotline: 1-800-318-2596
- HHS hotline for hearing-impaired callers with TTY/TTD technology: 1-855-889-4325
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.