With most 2016 political races long decided, California lawmakers-in-waiting are preparing for the year ahead. But some candidates are still stuck in a mail-in-ballot induced limbo.
For Rep. Ami Bera, D-Elk Grove, it may not last much longer.
Bera almost doubled his lead over Republican Scott Jones to nearly 4,800 votes after the latest ballot count was released Wednesday. The tally widened Bera’s lead to 51 percent to 49 percent. Another update is expected at 3 p.m. today.
Bera is no stranger to elongated contests, and this year he’s not alone. Here’s a rundown of other tight races:
Never miss a local story.
▪ Congressional District 49: Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Vista, 51 percent. Doug Applegate (D) 49 percent.
▪ Assembly District 40: Assemblyman Marc Steinorth, R-Rancho Cucamonga, 51.5 percent; Abigail Medina (D) 48.5 percent.
▪ Senate District 29: Assemblywoman Ling Ling Chang, R-Diamond Bar, 50.7 percent; Josh Newman (D) 49.3 percent.
▪ Proposition 53 (revenue bonds): No 51.2 percent, Yes 48.8 percent
▪ Proposition 66 (death penalty procedures) Yes 51.3 percent, No 48.7 percent
WORTH REPEATING: “People frequently overlook the power of celebrity.” – Former Gov. Gray Davis, who was recalled from office and replaced by Arnold Schwarzenegger, on Donald Trump’s victory
FREE TURKEYS: Sen. Richard Pan, D-Sacramento, is hosting a health and wellness fair Saturday at the Martin Luther King Jr. Technology Academy on Fairfield Street. Attendees can line up for free eye examinations, dental screenings, flu shots, HIV testing and a host of other healthcare services. If you’re in good health, other giveaways may draw you in: Up to 300 free turkeys and a basketball camp geared toward teaching kids how to perform ankle-breaking crossovers. The fair begins at 10 a.m.
MUST-READ: Bee reporters Jim Miller and Christopher Cadelago break down the rise of charter school and EdVoice backed state legislators and what that means for the California Teachers Association.
CELEBRATE: Happy birthday to Sen. Bob Hertzberg, D-Los Angeles, who turns 62 Saturday.