For the Sacramento region, here are the Top 7 races to watch in the election Tuesday, November 4, 2014. Remember, polls open at 7 a.m. and close at 8 p.m. Results will be available on Sacbee.com soon after the polls close.
1) 7th Congressional District: Freshman Rep. Ami Bera and former Rep. Doug Ose face off in a nationally watched race.
2) Sacramento Measure L: The strong-mayor ballot measure would change the way things work at City Hall.
3) Superintendent of Public Instruction: Incumbent Tom Torlakson faces a challenge from political newcomer Marshall Tuck.
Never miss a local story.
4) Proposition 1, water bonds: Should the state sell $7.5 billion in general obligation bonds to fund water-related programs?
5) 6th Senate District: Democrats Richard Pan and Roger Dickinson compete to replace Sen. Darrell Steinberg in the California Senate.
6) Sacramento City schools: The Sacramento City Teachers Association is seeking to remake the board after battles with district leaders over seniority protections, contract negotiations, teacher evaluations and a shift in health insurers.
7) U.S. Senate control: Republicans need a gain of six seats to capture the majority.
For more on the election, see Sacbee.com’s Guide to Election 2014: What you need to know