The list of applicants for an empty seat on the Elk Grove Unified School District board is replete with familiar names, including a former city councilwoman, three former council candidates and the trustee who held the seat before voters ousted him in 2012.
The board will appoint a new Area 6 trustee Jan. 26. The vacancy was created after Steve Ly won a seat on the Elk Grove City Council in November. Area 6 is in the southwest region of the vast district, bounded roughly by Elk Grove Boulevard on the north to just beyond Lambert Road to the south.
The candidates are:
▪ Sophia Scherman, a former Elk Grove city councilwoman, former Elk Grove Community Services District director and retired businesswoman.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Nancy Chaires Espinoza, chairwoman of the Elk Grove Planning Commission. She ran for City Council in November and lost to Ly. She is on the Sacramento board of Court Appointed Special Advocates.
▪ Jacob Rambo, an administrative law judge for the California Department of Health Care Services. He is a former EGUSD trustee who was appointed to the Area 6 seat in 2010 and lost to Ly in the 2012 election.
▪ LaWanna Montgomery, who ran for mayor in 2012. She is the owner of a tutoring business.
▪ Nayyar Sarfaraz, a technology worker with the city of West Sacramento. Sarfaraz made an unsuccessful bid for Elk Grove City Council in November.
▪ Nicole Munoz-Murillo, a senior legislative advocate for California State University.
▪ Lance Fang, a software architect. He also is the chair of the Hmong Action Committee and a trustee for Yav Pem Suab Academy, a Sacramento charter school focusing on Hmong language and culture.
▪ George Brown Jr., a field coordinator for the Service Employees International Union in Sacramento.
▪ Marlon E. Hill, a technology specialist for the Office of Legislative Counsel. He also is a board member with the Sacramento Theater Company and with Nehemiah Emerging Leadership Alumni Association.
▪ Munir Khan, a tax auditor and owner of a West Sacramento restaurant.
▪ Greg Stinson, a transportation supervisor at Sacramento Regional Transit.
▪ Todd Watson, a manager with AT&T Sacramento. He also is the board chairman of Junior Achievement of Sacramento.
The Jan. 26 board meeting will be at the Robert L. Trigg Education Center, 9510 Elk Grove-Florin Road.
Call The Bee’s Diana Lambert, (916) 321-1090. Follow her on Twitter @dianalambert.