The Sonoma County Sheriff's Office has released the names of 10 of the 17 people found dead in fires in the county to date.
Sheriff Robert Giordano during a Thursday evening news conference said the youngest of those identified so far was 57 years old and most were in their 70s or older. Many were found in the ruins of homes, while one was found near a vehicle. They typically have been located through directed searches, conducted because a friend or family member reported the person missing, he said
The Sheriff’s Office posted the names of those identified thus far on the department’s Facebook page shortly after the news conference, noting that their families have been notified. They are:
- Carol Collins-Swasey, 76, from Santa Rosa
- Lynne Anderson Powell, 72, from Santa Rosa
- Arthur Tasman Grant, 95, from Santa Rosa
- Suiko Grant, 75, from Santa Rosa
- Donna Mae Halbur, 80, from Larkfield (Santa Rosa)
- Leroy Peter Halbur, 80, from Larkfield (Santa Rosa)
- Valerie Lynn Evans, 75, from Santa Rosa
- Carmen Caldentey Berriz, 75, from Apple Valley
- Michael John Dornbach, 57, from Calistoga
- Veronica Elizabeth McCombs, 67, from Santa Rosa.
Never miss a local story.
Approximately 400 people who have been reported missing still have not been located, Giordano said. He urged those who have reported people missing to also notify authorities if they are located.