Be prepared for emergencies

03/22/2011 11:37 AM

09/13/2011 6:57 PM

Public safety agencies recommend residents put together emergency supply kits, which can come in handy in the event of floods, fires or extended power outages:

What you need to prepare for a flood

The essentials:

Water: one gallon per person per day. A week's supply is recommended.
Food: ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits and vegetables, canned juices, milk, soup (if powdered, store extra water)
Nonelectric can opener
Portable radio, flashlight, spare batteries
Essential medications
Candles, matches
Cash and change
Baby supplies: formula, bottle, pacifier, soap and baby powder, clothing, blankets, baby wipes, disposable diapers, canned food and juices
Important papers: insurance policies, copies of Social Security cards and birth certificates in a waterproof container
Pet supplies: food, carrier, leash

Other items:

Cooking and eating utensils
Sanitation supplies, including household bleach, toilet paper and bar soap
Change of clothing and sturdy shoes
Blankets, sleeping bags, rain gear
Tools and supplies, including shovel, ax, broom, screwdriver, pliers, hammer, and plastic or duct tape

For information on power outages and safety during storms:

Sacramento Municipal Utility District customers should check; search under "Customer Safety."
Pacific Gas and Electric customers should check, search under "Storms, Outages and Safety."

For information or to report flooding:

In unincorporated Sacramento County: Call the 24-hour line, (916) 875-7246. For river, creek, stream levels and rainfall amounts, check or
In the city of Sacramento: Call the 24-hour line at (916) 264-5011, or 311 from phones within the city, or see the websites, or
In Roseville, information on stream levels in the city is available at In the event flooding will occur, warnings will be issued via Roseville's Government Access Channel - cable channels 14 and 73 - on AM 530 radio and the city's website.
In Elk Grove, weather-related updates on street and stream flooding are posted at
In Rancho Cordova, call the Public Works Department, (916) 851-8710 during business hours, or (916) 875-5000 after hours or weekends.

For information on river and stream levels:

National Weather Service's California Nevada River Forecast Center:
California Department of Water Resources Current Stream Level:

For information on sandbag locations:

Sacramento County-operated and non-county-operated sites are listed on the website at
Placer County: and click on Sand and Sandbag Locations
El Dorado County: titleid=248&id=2147483692&terms=sandbags


Join the Discussion

The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service