Better training for fatal food allergies
04/22/2014 7:04 AM
04/22/2014 6:21 PM
Re "City sued in girl's death" (Our Region, April 19): I am saddened by the death of 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi from anaphylactic food allergy. As a school nurse, I have created many Emergency Health Care Plans for children such as Natalie. In the case of suspected food allergen ingestion, staff is instructed to administer the Epipen injection immediately and call 911. Do not wait.
I train the school staff to recognize symptoms of food allergy and teach them how to administer the EpiPen. Staff are also trained to administer CPR, should that become necessary.
While I agree with the Giorgis that we must raise awareness and teach the public about this frightening condition, mandating EpiPen availability in every school will not be an effective solution as there are many schools without a nurse to train and back up the teachers and staff.
We need more school nurses.
-- Sheree Palma, Loomis
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.