The 80 percent should stop wasting water

07/15/2014 9:07 AM

07/15/2014 8:56 AM

Re "Hefty overwatering fines would make it clear California is in a drought" (Editorials, July 14): Yes, everyone should do their part to reduce overall water consumption and eliminate wasteful watering habits. Not just during the drought but going forward.

So when do the folks of California see the end of gravity irrigation, flooding fields and orchards, planting water intensive crops and other wasteful practices? So why is it the users of only 20 percent of the water in the state are pounded and threatened with fines while the users of the remaining 80 percent continue their wasteful ways? This is an all or nothing deal. You don't come down on the 20 percent group without doing the same for the 80 percent group.

Furthermore, the continued releases from dams while everyone else is trying to reduce consumption makes no sense.

-- Steve Mawhinney, Roseville

Editor's Choice Videos

 

Join the Discussion

The Sacramento Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service